Martial arts are a reunion of many of combat’s systems that represent different cultures around the world. Each one represents your own personality and organization, but, all offers to your practitioners some important benedicts. In this article we will discuss the health part of this important physical activity and how you can take advantage of your own improvement.
First of all, we are going to talk about the benefits to your body. How do martial arts affect you in your body?
- Training Martial arts, you can control many diseases like High blood pressure, Diabetes.
- You can control the level of cholesterol in your blood;
- Martial arts can be a important ally to combat the Depression;
- Training Martial arts improve your physical conditioning muscular and cardio in different levels.
- In classes you can increase your muscles that are important to increase the self- esteem.
- Doing drills, techniques from Martial arts can helps you to control and lose weight.
- Attending Martial classes and doing the activities that the program offers to you increase your body functionality and prepares you to be more active in your daily life.
During a martial class your body starts to burn and build muscles and fat tissue, and at same time our brain starts work liberating some substances called hormones. These hormones are responsible to relieve the stress and give us a good sensation of pleasure.
The hormones are:
- Somatotropin (GH) – This hormone is responsible for the growth of our body.
- Adrenalin and noradrenalin: these hormones are responsible for activate our body to start a exercise and helps you out to increase energy consumption (loss weight).
- Glucagon & Insulin: these hormones are important to our body to regulate level of sugar in our body, this condition is very important to prevent Diabetes (an illness that causes amputation and blindness).
- Endorphin: this hormone is responsible to control the anxiety and decrease the stress. This hormone is better known by “Pleasure hormone” that contributes to still doing exercises and attend the jobs with more energy and enthusiasm. To liberate this hormone, the student has to exercise at least 30 minutes at moderate to intense levels.
- Cortisol: this hormone is better known by “the Stress hormone” studies have shown that people that doing exercises regularly has less levels of Cortisol than people are sedentary.
- Leptin: this hormone act in our weight control, controlling the appetite and burn fat tissue from the cells saved in our body reservoirs (like belly for instance).
- Serotonin: It acts on some factors, such as normalization of mood, sleep, appetite, sexual desire, body temperature, sensitivity to pain, among others.
- Produces substances that give the feeling of well-being.
- Reduce the Stress.
- Improve self-esteem.
- Improve your social relationship;
- Decrease the anxiety.
- Prevent Alzheimer.
- Improve the memory retention capacity.
- Increase your productivity.
- Helps you control vicious (throughout Dopamine the reward hormone)
Behavioral and benefits:
- Respect to others;
- Self confidence
- Self esteem
- Violence control
- More comprehensive
- More respectful to his parents
- More focused on his scholar tasks.
- The practitioners became more responsible for his actions outside the mats.
- Became more positive in his personal life
- The student learns to understand how your place in this world is.
- Became calmer in front a difficult situation.
- Became willing to take decisions.
- Became less anxious and impulsive
- Learn about to be a better human being.
All that benefit above results from a long term of practice in Martial arts, a dedicated student follows the program from white to black belt for sure He will have a great change experience in his life. The process is very important to a warrior that wants to be Mastery in any martial arts. If you have a good Instructor, He will guide you to the success in this journey. Then let´s start end enjoy in his marvelous journey that starts now…
Mauro Geraldi Rodrigues
- 4th Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo
- 5th Degree Black Belt in Jiu Jitsu
- Bachelor of Physical Education from FUMEC University
- Postgraduate in Sports and Leisure Management at PUC Minas
- Postgraduate degree in physical activity for people with disabilities at UFJF (Federal University of Juiz de Fora)